Thursday, October 8, 2009

Death Penalty Phase

Today began the death penalty phase of the trial. Last night we got the verdict at approximately 11:30 pm "Guilty on all counts." I have only been so scared,that my teeth were chattering, and my body was shaking all over uncontrollably two times in my life. Both times right before the verdict was read. I can not tell you how at peace I now feel knowing that Michael Gosciminski will be in jail, and not be able to hurt anybody else. Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts.

Today we started the morning on a very emotional level. My father, sister, and I got to present out Victim Impact statements to the Jury. It is so hard to write how this has impacted my life. This is what I said to the Jury:

On September 24, 2002 Michael Gosciminski murdered my Mother. He not only destroyed her life and stole her jewelry, he destroyed a part of mine. He stole my mother and a grandmother from my children forever.

On September 25, 2002 my uncle and aunt came to my home at 7:30 in the morning. They looked a wreck. They told me my mother had died. When I finally pulled myself together enough, I called my father in CT. He said the words "Your mother was murdered." The pain I felt and still feel is a pain that doesn't leave. It is a pain that no one should have to feel. I still need my Mom....my children need a grandmother.

My daughter, Lauren, was only 3 1/2 and was very close to my mother. I had to tell her "Grandma went to Heaven." As she has gotten older through the years, she understands more and more what happened to her Grandmother. It breaks my heart to see her try to grasp the reality. The reality that Grandma doesn't get to be with her on her Birthday, come to see her dance on a stage, or be with her Christmas morning. Her first picture she drew in her journal at pre-school was of Grandma in Heaven.

On December 18, 2004 I had a son, Bryce Thomas. On April 10, 2008 I had a daughter, Victoria Joan. She was named after my Mother. They have never gotten to hear her laugh, or feel her hugs and kisses. When they were born, my Mother didn't get to cradle them in her arms. Some day I will have to tell these three innocent souls what Michael Gosiminski did to their Grandmother, and they too will have to live with that horror.

I don't get to talk to, or see my Mother anymore. I can't call her for advice or tell her a funny story about her Grandchildren. I can't hug her or give her a kiss on her cheek. I can't tell her I love her.....

I will publish my sister's tomorrow. After we finished the Jury was a wreck and asked the Judge for a recess. Even the reporters were crying.

Then the defense brought in the doctor that evaluated Michael Gosiminski's mental state. He started with Michael being born C-Section as the beginning of his traumatic life. And all the factors that lead him to be a murderer. It was quite pathetic.....they named things like hurting his knee in football, that he didn't get along with his 6th grade teacher, his hurt foot, high blood pressure, gastro intestinal problems.....and the ridiculous list went on and on for 2 and a half hours. It was crazy.

They decided to not play his mother's tape again to the jury. Even she thought he did it.....

We then left and had a celebratory dinner with all the people that worked on this case here. I was so happy that we got to celebrate.

Tomorrow will be closing arguments and the Jury will decide on the Death Penalty sentence. I will be flying home on Saturday. I can't wait to get my life back to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment